Monday, April 5, 2010

Twists on the Boring Old Salad

So I am not a big salad eater. They bore me and do not fill me up at all. I've been known to order a fried chicken tenders salad or a salmon salad, but who the hell has the time to do those at home?

Well, salmon maybe, but you know what I mean.

So I like tossing things on romaine lettuce that you normally would not expect. But I keep it simple. I am not a fan of the "let's see how many things we can cram into a salad bowl" salad. I do not want to hunt for my next bite at the bottom of a damn bowl. Annoying.

1) Roast either red potatoes or fingerling or a yukon-just chop up into smaller cubes. Quarter and toss a yellow onion along with the potatoes-toss it all w olive oil, a few tbs of melted butter, salt and pepper. Roast at 425-check onions after 15 mins-they will need to come out first. Continue roasting potatoes for another 20 mins-you will know when they are done-gotta get them crispy!

When cooked, add to the crisp cold chopped romaine lettuce, along with your choice of dressing-I like a good ginger dressing-but balsamic is good as well. You could also add roasted chicken or salmon.

2) Take a roll of goat cheese and stick it in the freezer for 10 mins. Then take it out, slice into half inch or so wheels, dip in olive oil, then cover well with italian bread crumbs. Place onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Baked these in a 350 oven for a few mins-you must watch them closely as they will warm quickly. Add to salad greens with the dressing (and whatever extra veggies) of your choice.

3) I also recently baked some frozen onion rings while we were grilling burgers. I chopped up a few of the rings, added them to salad, with carrots and balsamic dressing. It tasted great with the burger (dressed w a yummy horseradish mustard). A little daring-but you know-it is always good to to mix things up a bit.



1 comment:

  1. Maybe, just maybe, Marc will stop asking me if I know where my kitchen is located! Keep these coming, girl!!! Better yet, bring your test kitchen to the softball field. That is where my kitchen SHOULD be located!!

    ReplyDelete